To America


“I remember you,
The kindness of your youth,
The love of your betrothal,
When you went after Me in the wilderness,
In a land not sown.
 America was holiness to the Lord,
“What injustice have your fathers found in Me,
That they have gone far from Me,
Have followed idols,


And have become idolaters?
 Neither did they say, ‘Where is the Lord,
Who brought us into the land of plenty, Who led us through the wilderness,
Through a land of deserts and pits,
Through a land of drought and the shadow of death,
Through a land that no one crossed
And where no one dwelt?’
 I brought you into a bountiful country,
To eat its fruit and its goodness.
But when you entered, you defiled My land
And made My heritage an abomination.
 The preachers did not say, ‘Where is the Lord?’
And those who handle the law did not know Me;
The politicians also transgressed against Me;
The prophets prophesied of their own accord,
And walked after things that do not profit.
 “Therefore I will yet bring charges against you,” says the Lord,
“And against your children’s children I will bring charges.
Has this nation changed its gods,
Which are not gods?
But My people have changed their Glory
For what does not profit.
 Be astonished, O heavens, at this,
And be horribly afraid;
Be very desolate,” says the Lord.
 “For My people have committed two evils:
They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters,
And hewn themselves cisterns—broken cisterns that can hold no water.
 Your own wickedness will correct you,
And your backslidings will rebuke you.
Know therefore and see that it is an evil and bitter thing
That you have forsaken the Lord your God,
And the fear of Me is not in you,”
Says the Lord God of hosts.
 “For of old I have broken your yoke and burst your bonds;
And you said, ‘I will not transgress,’
When on every high hill and under every green tree
You lay down, playing the harlot.
 Yet I had planted you a noble vine, a seed of highest quality.
How then have you turned before Me
Into the degenerate plant of an alien vine?
 For though you wash yourself, and use much soap,
Yet your iniquity is marked before Me,” says the Lord God.
 “As the thief is ashamed when he is found out,
So America should be ashamed;
They and their presidents and their congressmen, and their priests and their prophets,
 Saying to a tree, ‘You are my father,’
And to a stone, ‘You gave birth to me.’
For they have turned their back to Me, and not their face.
But in the time of their trouble
They will say, ‘Arise and save us.’
 But where are your American idols that you have made for yourselves?
Let them arise, If they can save you in the time of your trouble;
For according to the number of your cities
Are your gods, America.

 “Why will you plead with Me?
You all have transgressed against Me,” says the Lord.
 “In vain I have chastened your children; They received no correction. Your sword has devoured your prophets like a destroying lion.
 “O generation, see the word of the Lord!
Have I been a wilderness to America,
Or a land of darkness?
Why do My people say, ‘We are lords;
We will come no more to You’?

Yet hear the word of the Lord, O women,
And let your ear receive the word of His mouth;
Teach your daughters wailing,
And everyone her neighbor a lamentation.
 For death has come through our windows,
Has entered our homes,
To kill off the children— no longer to be outside!
And the young men— no longer on the streets!
Can a virgin forget her ornaments,
Or a bride her attire?
Yet My people have forgotten Me days without number.
“Why do you beautify your way to seek love?
Therefore you have also taught
The wicked women your ways.
 Also on your skirts is found
The blood of the lives of the poor innocents.
I have not found it by secret search,
But plainly on all these things.
 Yet you say, ‘Because I am innocent,
Surely His anger shall turn from me.’

Behold, I will plead My case against you,
Because you say, ‘I have not sinned.’

“They say, ‘If a man divorces his wife,
And she goes from him
And becomes another man’s,
May he return to her again?’
Would not that land be greatly polluted?
But you have played the harlot with many lovers;
Yet return to Me,” says the Lord.
“Lift up your eyes to the desolate heights and see:
Where have you not lain with men?
By the road you have sat for them
Like a prostitute in the wilderness;
And you have polluted the land
With your harlotries and your wickedness.
Therefore the showers have been withheld, And there has been no latter rain.
You have had a harlot’s forehead;
You refuse to be ashamed.
Will you not from this time cry to Me,
‘My Father, You are the guide of my youth?
 Will He remain angry forever?
Will He keep it to the end?’
Behold, you have spoken and done evil things,
As you were able.”
A Call to Repentance
The Lord said also to me: “Have you seen what backsliding America has done? She has gone up on every high mountain and under every green tree, and there played the harlot.  And I said, after she had done all these things, ‘Return to Me.’ But she did not return.  Then I saw that for all the causes for which backsliding America had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce.  So it came to pass, through her casual harlotry, that she defiled the land and committed adultery with stones and trees.  And yet for all this America has not turned to Me with her whole heart, but in pretense,” says the Lord.
‘Return, backsliding America,’ says the Lord;
‘I will not cause My anger to fall on you.
For I am merciful,’ says the Lord;
‘I will not remain angry forever.
 Only acknowledge your iniquity,
That you have transgressed against the Lord your God,
And have scattered your charms
To alien deities under every green tree,
And you have not obeyed My voice,’ says the Lord.
“Return, O backsliding children,” says the Lord; “for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion.  And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.
 Surely, as a wife treacherously departs from her husband,
So have you dealt treacherously with Me,
O America,” says the Lord.
 A voice was heard on the desolate heights,
Weeping and supplications of the children of America.
For they have perverted their way;
They have forgotten the Lord their God.
 “Return, you backsliding children,
And I will heal your backslidings.”
“If you will return, O America,” says the Lord,
“Return to Me;
And if you will put away your abominations out of My sight,
Then you shall not be moved.
 And you shall swear, ‘The Lord lives,’
In truth, in judgment, and in righteousness;
The nations shall bless themselves in Him,
And in Him they shall glory.”
 For thus says the Lord to the men of America:
“Break up your fallow ground,
And do not sow among thorns.
 Circumcise yourselves to the Lord,
And take away the foreskins of your hearts,
You men of America,
Lest My fury come forth like fire,
And burn so that no one can quench it,
Because of the evil of your doings.”
The destroyer of nations is on his way.
He has gone forth from his place
To make your land desolate.
Your cities will be laid waste,
Without inhabitant.
 For this, clothe yourself with sackcloth,
Lament and wail.
For the fierce anger of the Lord
Has not turned back from us.
“And it shall come to pass in that day,” says the Lord,
That the heart of the president shall perish,
And the heart of the congressmen;
The priests shall be astonished,
And the prophets shall wonder.”
 O America, wash your heart from wickedness,
That you may be saved. How long shall your evil thoughts lodge within you. “Your ways and your doings
Have procured destruction for you.
This is your wickedness,
Because it is bitter,
Because it reaches to your heart.”
Sorrow for the Doomed Nation
 O my soul, my soul!
I am pained in my very heart!
My heart makes a noise in me;
I cannot hold my peace,
Because you have heard, O my soul,
The sound of the trumpet,
The alarm of war.
 Destruction upon destruction is cried,
For the whole land is plundered.
Suddenly my houses are plundered,
And my curtains in a moment.
 How long will I see the standard,
And hear the sound of the trumpet?
 “For My people are foolish,
They have not known Me.
They are silly children,
And they have no understanding.
They are wise to do evil,
But to do good they have no knowledge.”

The Justice of God’s Judgment

“Run to and fro through the streets of America;
See now and know;
And seek in her open places
If you can find a man,
If there is anyone who executes judgment,
Who seeks the truth,
And I will pardon her.
 Though they say, ‘As the Lord lives,’
Surely they swear falsely.”

 O Lord, are not Your eyes on the truth?
You have stricken them,
But they have not grieved;
You have consumed them,
But they have refused to receive correction.
They have made their faces harder than rock;
They have refused to return.
 Therefore I said, “Surely these are poor.
They are foolish;
For they do not know the way of the Lord,
The judgment of their God.
 I will go to the great men and speak to them,
For they have known the way of the Lord,
The judgment of their God.”
But these have altogether broken the yoke
And burst the bonds.
Everyone who goes out from there shall be torn in pieces,
Because their transgressions are many;
Their backslidings have increased.
 “How shall I pardon you for this?
Your children have forsaken Me
And sworn by those that are not gods.
When I had fed them to the full,
Then they committed adultery
And assembled themselves by troops in the harlots’ houses.
They were like well-fed lusty stallions;
Every one neighed after his neighbor’s wife.
 Shall I not punish them for these things?” says the Lord.
“And shall I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?
 “Go up on her walls and destroy,
But do not make a complete end.
Take away her branches,
For they are not the Lord’s.
 For America
Has dealt very treacherously with Me,” says the Lord.
 They have lied about the Lord,
And said, “It is not He.
Neither will evil come upon us,
Nor shall we see sword or famine.
And the preachers become wind,
For the word is not in them.
Thus shall it be done to them.”
“Nevertheless in those days,” says the Lord, “I will not make a complete end of you.
 “Declare this in America, saying,
 ‘Hear this now, O foolish people,
Without understanding,
Who have eyes and see not,
And who have ears and hear not:
 Do you not fear Me?’ says the Lord.
‘Will you not tremble at My presence,
Who have placed the sand as the bound of the sea,
By a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass beyond it?
And though its waves toss to and fro,
Yet they cannot prevail;
Though they roar, yet they cannot pass over it.
 But this people has a defiant and rebellious heart;
They have revolted and departed.
 They do not say in their heart,
“Let us now fear the Lord our God,
Who gives rain, both the former and the latter, in its season.
He reserves for us the appointed weeks of the harvest.”
Your iniquities have turned these things away,
And your sins have withheld good from you.
‘For among My churches are found wicked men;
They lie in wait as one who sets snares;
They set a trap;
They catch men.
 As a cage is full of birds,
So their houses are full of deceit.
Therefore they have become great and grown rich.
 They have grown fat, they are sleek;
Yes, they surpass the deeds of the wicked;
They do not plead the cause,
The cause of the fatherless;
Yet they prosper,
And the right of the needy they do not defend.
 For the shepherds have become dull-hearted,
And have not sought the Lord;
Therefore they shall not prosper,
And all their flocks shall be scattered.
29 Shall I not punish them for these things?’ says the Lord.
‘Shall I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?’
 “An astonishing and horrible thing
Has been committed in the land:
 The prophets prophesy falsely,
And the preachers rule by their own power;
And My people love to have it so.
But what will you do in the end?
“O you children of promise,
Gather yourselves to flee from the midst of America!
 For thus has the Lord of hosts said: “Cut down trees,
And build a mound against America.
This is the nation to be punished.
She is full of oppression in her midst.
 As a fountain wells up with water,
So she wells up with her wickedness.
Violence and plundering are heard in her.
Before Me continually are grief and wounds.
 Be instructed, O America,
Lest My soul depart from you;
Lest I make you desolate,
A land not inhabited.”
To whom shall I speak and give warning,
That they may hear?
Indeed their ear is uncircumcised,
And they cannot give heed.
Behold, the word of the Lord is a reproach to them;
They have no delight in it.
 Therefore I am full of the fury of the Lord.
I am weary of holding it in.
“I will pour it out on the children outside,
And on the assembly of young men together;
For even the husband shall be taken with the wife,
The aged with him who is full of days.
 And their houses shall be turned over to others,
Fields and wives together;
For I will stretch out My hand
Against the inhabitants of the land,” says the Lord.
 “Because from the least of them even to the greatest of them,
Everyone is given to covetousness;
And from the prophet even to the preacher,
Everyone deals falsely.
 They have also healed the hurt of My people slightly,
Saying, ‘Peace, peace!’
When there is no peace.
 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination?
No! They were not at all ashamed;
Nor did they know how to blush.
Therefore they shall fall among those who fall;
At the time I punish them,
They shall be cast down,” says the Lord.
Thus says the Lord: “Stand in the ways and see,
And ask for the old paths, where the good way is,
And walk in it;
Then you will find rest for your souls.
But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.
 Also, I set watchmen over you, saying,
‘Listen to the sound of the trumpet!’
But they said, ‘We will not listen.’
 Therefore hear, you nations,
And know, O congregation, what is among them.
 Hear, O earth!
Behold, I will certainly bring calamity on this people—
The fruit of their thoughts,
Because they have not heeded My words
Nor My law, but rejected it.
Therefore thus says the Lord: “Behold, I will lay stumbling blocks before this people,
And the fathers and the sons together shall fall on them.
The neighbor and his friend shall perish. ”Do not go out into the field,
Nor walk by the way.
Because of the sword of the enemy,
Fear is on every side. Make mourning as for an only son, most bitter lamentation;
For the plunderer will suddenly come upon us.
They are all stubborn rebels, walking as slanderers.
They are bronze and iron, They are all corrupters;
 The bellows blow fiercely,
The lead is consumed by the fire;
The smelter refines in vain,
For the wicked are not drawn off.
 People will call them rejected silver,
Because the Lord has rejected them.”

Trusting in Lying Words

  “Stand in the gate of the Lord’s house, and proclaim there this word, and say, ‘Hear the word of the Lord, all you of America who enter in at these gates to worship the Lord!’” Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: “Amend your ways and your doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this place.  Do not trust in these lying words, saying, ‘The temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord are these.’
 “For if you thoroughly amend your ways and your doings, if you thoroughly execute judgment between a man and his neighbor,  if you do not oppress the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place, or walk after other gods to your hurt,  then I will cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers forever and ever. “Behold, you trust in lying words that cannot profit.  Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, and worship idols whom you do not know,  and then come and stand before Me in this house which is called by My name, and say, ‘We are delivered to do all these abominations’?  Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of thieves in your eyes? Behold, I, even I, have seen it,” says the Lord. “But go now to My place which was in Shiloh, where I set My name at the first, and see what I did to it because of the wickedness of My people Israel.  And now, because you have done all these works,” says the Lord, “and I spoke to you, rising up early and speaking, but you did not hear, and I called you, but you did not answer,  therefore I will do to the house which is called by My name, in which you trust, and to this place which I gave to you and your fathers, as I have done to Shiloh.  Therefore thus says the Lord God: “Behold, My anger and My fury will be poured out on this place—on man and on beast, on the trees of the field and on the fruit of the ground. And it will burn and not be quenched.”

Judgment on Obscene Religion

“This is a nation that does not obey the voice of the Lord their God nor receive correction. Truth has perished and has been cut off from their mouth. Cut off your hair and cast it away, and take up a lamentation on the desolate heights; for the Lord has rejected and forsaken the generation of His wrath.’  For the children of America have done evil in My sight,” says the Lord. “They have set their abominations in the house which is called by My name, to pollute it.

 Death shall be chosen rather than life by all the residue of those who remain of this evil family, who remain in all the places where I have driven them,” says the Lord of hosts.
 Why has this people slidden back,
America, in a perpetual backsliding?
They hold fast to deceit,
They refuse to return.
 I listened and heard,
But they do not speak aright.
No man repented of his wickedness,
Saying, ‘What have I done?’
Everyone turned to his own course,
As the horse rushes into the battle.
 “Even the stork in the heavens
Knows her appointed times;
And the turtledove, the swift, and the swallow
Observe the time of their coming.
But My people do not know the judgment of the Lord.
 “How can you say, ‘We are wise,
And the law of the Lord is with us’?
Look, the false pen of the scribe certainly works falsehood.
 The wise men are ashamed,
They are dismayed and taken.
Behold, they have rejected the word of the Lord;
So what wisdom do they have?
Therefore I will give their wives to others,
And their fields to those who will inherit them;
Because from the least even to the greatest
Everyone is given to covetousness;
From the prophet even to the preacher
Everyone deals falsely.
For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of My people slightly,
Saying, ‘Peace, peace!’
When there is no peace.
 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination?
No! They were not at all ashamed,
Nor did they know how to blush.
Therefore they shall fall among those who fall;
In the time of their punishment
They shall be cast down,” says the Lord.
“I will surely consume them,” says the Lord.
“No grapes shall be on the vine,
Nor figs on the fig tree,
And the leaf shall fade;
And the things I have given them shall pass away from them.”’”

Oh, that my head were waters,
And my eyes a fountain of tears,
That I might weep day and night
For the slain of the daughter of my people!
 Oh, that I had in the wilderness
A lodging place for travelers;
That I might leave my people,
And go from them!
For they are all adulterers,
An assembly of treacherous men.
“And like their bow they have bent their tongues for lies.
They are not valiant for the truth on the earth.
For they proceed from evil to evil,
And they do not know Me,” says the Lord.
 Everyone will deceive his neighbor,
And will not speak the truth;
They have taught their tongue to speak lies;
They weary themselves to commit iniquity.
 Your dwelling place is in the midst of deceit;
Through deceit they refuse to know Me,” says the Lord.
 Therefore thus says the Lord of hosts:
“Behold, I will refine them and try them;
For how shall I deal with the daughter of My people?
Their tongue is an arrow shot out;
It speaks deceit;
One speaks peaceably to his neighbor with his mouth,
But in his heart he lies in wait.
 Shall I not punish them for these things?” says the Lord.
“Shall I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?”
And the Lord said, “Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice, nor walked according to it, but they have walked according to the dictates of their own hearts and after the idols, which their fathers taught them,”  therefore thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: “Behold, I will feed them, this people, with wormwood, and give them water of gall to drink. I will scatter them also among the heathens, whom neither they nor their fathers have known. And I will send a sword after them until I have consumed them.” But they are altogether dull-hearted and foolish;
A wooden idol is a worthless doctrine. But the Lord is the true God; He is the living God and the everlasting King.
At His wrath the earth will tremble,
And the nations will not be able to endure His indignation. He has made the earth by His power,
He has established the world by His wisdom,
And has stretched out the heavens at His discretion.
 When He utters His voice,
There is a multitude of waters in the heavens:
“And He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth.
He makes lightning for the rain,
He brings the wind out of His treasuries.”
Inasmuch as there is none like You, O Lord
(You are great, and Your name is great in might),
Who would not fear You, O King of the nations?
For this is Your rightful due.
For among all the wise men of the nations,
And in all their kingdoms,
There is none like You.

 Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
Let not the mighty man glory in his might,
Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
 But let him who glories glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the Lord, exercising loving kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth.
For in these I delight,” says the Lord.

(This was adapted from the book of Jeremiah) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWJD

Christians Don't Want Christianity